Childhood Lead Poisoning

Childhood lead poisoning is the most common environmental disease of young children. Lead poisoning can cause a series of health problems in young children including learning disabilities, hyperactive behavioral problems, coma, convulsions and even death. The concerning aspect of lead poisoning is that children will display no signs or symptoms of lead poisoning; only a blood test will confirm lead poising. Visit our Lead Testing page for more information.

Lead sources are often found in homes built prior to 1978 due to the widespread usage of lead paint during that time period. Children who live in or regularly visit homes built prior to 1978 are at high risk of lead poisoning, along with children who have siblings that have had lead poisoning. Children most often ingest lead through hand-to-mouth contact. Dust containing lead particles is often the source of the poisoning. There are several precautions you can take to protect your child:

  • If you suspect your child has lead poisoning, seek medical attention immediately.
  • Check your home for paint that is chipping or peeling.
  • Make sure your child has a healthy diet; children who eat well are less likely to absorb lead.
  • Sanitize your child’s toys, bottles, pacifiers and hands often.
  • Cover all exposed lead paint surfaces.